One rainy wednesday morning the park ladies came to visit. As the children created chaos around us, we made a batch of pikelets in the hopes of silencing them for a minute or two. It worked.
This is the best pikelets recipe ever. the secret is the vinegar in the milk.
- 1 cup (150g) self-raising flour
- 1 tbs caster sugar
- 3/4 cup (185ml) milk
- 1 tbs white vinegar
- 1 egg
- A little bit of melted butter
- mix flour and sugar together into a bowl with a pinch of salt.
- Add vinegar to the milk and let thicken
- Whisk milk and egg together, then add butter and add to dry ingredients, whisking until smooth.
- Heat a non-stick frypan over medium heat. Drop level tablespoonfuls of the mixture into the pan and cook for half a minute or until bubbles appear on the surface.
- Turn over and cook other side for 1 minute until golden.
- Allow to cool and serve with butter.
Just so you know, i've totally perfected my skills since way back here.